Sometimes big siblings have to take care of their little brothers and sisters. Mittens the cat takes that duty very seriously! Watch as she gives Miko, her Shiba Inu puppy pal, a bath in the video above — whether the pup wants it or not!
Miko puts up a little bit of a fight, but the puppy can’t defend against Mittens’s sandpaper tongue kisses. She’s going to get that puppy clean, and a few ear chomps won’t stop her.
If the adorable video above has you wondering if your cat would like a doggy sibling of their own, there are some things you should consider before you introduce a new furry family member. Here’s some advice for helping your cat and dog make a good first impression.
Introducing A New Dog To Your Cat
If you’re bringing home a new furry family member, you’ll want to make sure they have the best introduction possible with your other pets, especially if they’re of a different species.
The best thing to do is start off with a cat and dog when they’re both young. If they grow up together, they’ll have a far easier time getting along.
But maybe you’ve already got an adult kitty. How should you go about bringing a new dog home to meet them? Here are some tips:
- Consider adopting an adult or senior dog. Puppies may have too much energy for your cat.
- Pick a dog with a low prey drive. You don’t want them chasing kitty around all the time!
- Make sure your cat has a place to retreat. Some perches or kitty condos will keep them out of pup’s reach.
- Give your kitty their own space. Make sure their bed, litter, food, and water are well away from the doggo.
- Get them used to each other’s scent. Rub a cloth on each pet and place it in the other’s sleeping area or near their food bowl.
- Let them investigate each other’s hangout spots once they start to feel comfortable.
- Make the introduction through a baby gate or door. If they seem interested and sniff each other, let them meet without the baby gate, but restrain the dog just in case.
- Let them warm up to each other. These things take time!
For a more full, complete list of instructions, check out our article about making dog-cat introductions here!
Does your cat have a dog sibling that they take care of? Does your dog like attention from your cat, or do they put up a fight like the puppy in the video? Let us know in the comments below!
The post Daily Dose Of Cute: Cat Gives Puppy Sibling A Bath, Whether She Likes It Or Not [VIDEO] appeared first on CatTime.